Get Out The Vote in Virginia
This November 7th, voters in Virginia will send one of two messages to Trump and his GOP lackeys:
“We don’t want your policies of hate and swamp-filled corruption in our country so we WILL vote you out of office and take back our country starting right now!”
“We might complain a lot, but you can keep doing what you are doing because our passion and our outrage do not translate into votes against you.”
It goes without saying which message we want to send, but we need to put actions to our words and SHOW them we are serious.
Hopefully you are aware of the elections happening this November, but in case you aren’t, let’s hone in on a particularly important one: Virginia’s gubernatorial race. The short story is that the current Lt. Governor, Democrat Ralph Northam, is facing off against former RNC chairperson Ed Gillespie, Keeper of the Swamp, who is running a Trump-style campaign. The outcome of this important race is going to come down to turnout and when that is the key factor, Democrats often come up short.
The good news is that Virginia has been running blue lately and Northam is up in the polls, BUT if you might be tempted to take your foot off the gas and sit this one out, remember Hillary was also up in the polls this time last year… So what do we do to help?
If you live in Virginia-
- VOTE, but don’t stop there. Remind, plead, and even shame your friends and family into voting.
- VOLUNTEER. Knock on doors, make calls, find out ways you can get would-be voters to their polling places.
If you don’t live in Virginia-
- Stir up a frenzy. We need to be buzzing about these off-year elections and make sure we all know what is happening, what is at stake, and most importantly how we can help.
- VOLUNTEER. If you are not close enough to knock on actual doors, you can still make calls and texts to voters.
You can also get more information from these groups who are doing work on the ground:
- Together We Will Northern Virginia – Website
- Together We Will Northern Virginia – Facebook
- Indivisible Virginia – Facebook
And it isn’t just VIRGINIA that is having huge elections in November!
Roll your sleeves up and get to work!
- The Virginia Governor’s Race is a High-Stakes Test for Trump (The Nation)
- Will Virginia Stay Blue? It Depends on Black Voter Turnout (Mother Jones)
- Northam and Gillespie Sharpen Their Positions Ahead of Virginia’s Gubernatorial Election (American University Radio)
Andrea Krejczyk blogs about how parents can change the world through activism in between naptimes and carpools. Read more at PlaydatesandProtests.com.