Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

by | Oct 23, 2017 | Actions, News, Weekly Actions, Weekly Report

Fiscal Disasters Harm REAL People

The phrase, “Put your money where your mouth is,” sums up the Republican’s agenda and proposed budget perfectly. The GOP only cares about the wealthy as their budget plan illustrates. Their new budget plan would increase the federal deficit by $1.5 TRILLION in the next ten years. Thus burdening our children and our children’s children with an amount of debt most people cannot fathom. And are the Republicans doing this for altruistic reasons? To fund homeless shelters or repairs to hurricane decimated areas? Of course not, they are doing it to give tax breaks to their friends and themselves.  

In addition to increasing the deficit, this budget would cut $473 billion for Medicare and 1 TRILLION from Medicaid. What are Medicare and Medicaid? Perhaps average voters don’t know, and hence don’t understand the damage these cuts will cause. Medicaid and Medicare provide medical coverage to the elderly, poor children, and blind and disabled persons. So the Republicans want to take doctor visits and medicine from those people and children who need it most.  

You know that lovely elderly couple that lives next door in the threadbare clothes and who subsist on dented cans and visits to the food pantry? I’m sure those folks don’t really need their high blood pressure or heart medicine. If they thought they would need medical coverage in their old age, they should have borrowed money from their wealthy parents to start their own business and make lots and lots of money. Being a fireman or a policeman or a school teacher just wasn’t the right move if they really wanted medical care in their dotage.

And although the passage of this resolution is only a framework for how the budget will go, it also includes procedural trickery that will allow all future budget actions, including tax breaks for the rich, to be passed with only 50 Senate votes instead of the normal 60 required for budget measures. It also prohibits a Filibuster. So essentially, all Democratic voices in the Senate have been silenced. The Republicans can cut aid to the elderly and disabled, run up the deficit, and even drill for oil in the Arctic, and Democrats’ hands are tied.

It may be too late for this year’s budget, but the 2018 midterm elections are rapidly approaching and we MUST be ready to regain democracy for America. We can no longer let the 1% make decisions for the other 99% of us. We must kick out members of Congress that care only about the wealthy and corporations and put in new, ethical, and intelligent members of Congress who care about people and the planet. Congressmen and women who will forgo big donors such as the NRA and big pharma and do what is right for the American people as a whole — not just those at the top of the pay scale.

Sources  

The Washington Post, Senate approves budget in crucial step forward for Republican tax cuts

Newsweek, MORE DEBT, BIG MEDICARE CUTS: THE GOP BUDGET IS A MESS

 

Ty Starks Morgan is an attorney who has worked in the foster care system for 24 years. She is the mother of two teen sons, two dogs, three cats, and a plethora of rescued foster animals.