In the wake of the horrific and violent events in Charlottesville VA, many of us are wondering what it is was can *do.* White supremacy and the legacy of oppression is deep in this country. It is going to take all of us working together, and being both educated and increasingly aware. Here are some actions we can take together:
- Check in on friends of color. Let them know that you’re thinking of them, offer to listen, and take them out for some self care.
Learn / Educate
- Take the family out to eat at a small POC owned business.
Subscribe to a Safety Pin Box package, and be a more effective ally in liberation.
Learn about racial, ethnic, and class disparities in the United States.
Follow the Black Movement Law Project
Challenge yourself to read only books written by people of color for the next 6 months
Tackle the recommended reading list by the Social Justice Training Institute
Watch Ava DuVernay’s extraordinary and galvanizing documentary “13th”
Watch ‘A Conversation with White People on Race’
- Call your Congressional representative with 5Calls
- Attend a vigil in your area
- Donate to the funds for Charlottesville anti-racist activists affected by the violence